Your baby is on the way! It’s time to prepare the nursery. Remember that your little one will spend a lot of time sleeping and playing in this room. The colour you choose can affect your baby’s mood, sleep patterns and even how much they eat. It’s a good idea to create a soothing, serene and nurturing environment. It would also be good if the colour could evolve with the room so you only have to change the furniture as your child grows. The following are some suggestions for great colours for the nursery.
- Light Gray creates a comforting, calming nursery atmosphere. Use bright accessories (white, pink, purple, green, gold) to lighten the room and make it pop. Consider adding decals (stripes, stars, trees, animals). Avoid dark and stormy grays. Opt for dove, silver or blue-grey. Try Bunny Gray 2124-50 by Benjamin Moore.
- Green reminds us of nature giving the nursery a sense of peace and security. It’s associated with health, healing and well-being. Choose a light to medium green in an earthy hue such as sage, apple, olive or moss. Blue greens (mint, aquamarine, seafoam) are also an excellent choice. Lehigh Green HC-131 by Benjamin Moore is a great option.
- Neutral shades have a warm, grounding effect, creating a cozy atmosphere. Earthy shades of beige and brown give your baby’s eyes a rest from stimulating colour and contrast. They allow your little one to wind down and sleep. Try taupe, light beige, tan or chocolate brown. CC-110 Muslin, a light beige, is a highly versatile neutral colour.
- Soft yellow is cheerful and cozy, creating a welcoming glow in the nursery. An energizing light yellow or a pale yellow-green are playful and calm choices. You can’t go wrong with Man on the Moon OC-106 or Dark Linen 2147-60 by Benjamin Moore.
- Subtle blues relax both mind and body. They lower blood pressure, heart rate and respiration, cooling the body and preparing it for sleep. Blue decreases anxiety and nervousness making it perfect for your baby’s rest. Soft calming blues (powder blue, aqua, turquoise, periwinkle) are a great choice! Consider Palladian Blue HC-144 by Benjamin Moore.
- Pinks and purples have the soothing properties of blue and create a soft, serene and calming atmosphere. Be careful not to go too dark! Gentle tones of pink are the best choice (pastel, peach, baby) as they make the nursery feel cozy and warm. Try Benjamin Moore’s Touch of Pink 2008-70. Lavender and lilac are good purple choices but remember that purple appears darker than expected when on the wall. Take a look at Benjamin Moore’s Lily Lavender 2071-60.
- Soothing white evokes serenity and peace. Avoid harsh, blue whites. Opt for creamy shades (ivory, antique, pearl, cream, vanilla). Add warmth and richness by incorporating earthy textures in the room like wicker and/or wood. CC-50 White Down is a good choice as is Benjamin Moore’s Cloud White OC-130.
If you want your nursery to be a soothing sleep sanctuary, choose your wall colour carefully. Have fun creating the perfect place for you and your new baby to relax and bond.
Want help choosing a colour for your nursery? Looking for advice on a painting project? Call Calgary’s independent paint and blinds store West Hillhurst Paint + Design at (403) 270-9696 or email at [email protected]. Our knowledgeable professional design associates provide high-quality paint, a wide selection of blinds and advice for home projects. We offer excellent service and a variety of products to match any budget. We carry Benjamin Moore paints. Call for a consultation today!